Our Best Attenders Get The Best Achievements
Try To Attend School Every Day
It is very important that our pupils attend school all the time so that they do not miss any vital learning.
Please see our policies below.
Please click here to read our trust-wide attendance policy.
Within our academy, we take the business of pupil behaviour very seriously.
Please click here to read our trust-wide behaviour and exclusions policy.
Please see below for the academy’s own behaviour protocols, including details of how we apply rewards and sanctions.
After consultation with the Education Welfare Officer, (EWO), Academy Council members and other advisors, we have decided to introduce a new system for monitoring and improving pupil attendance.
The Government target for attendance is 95%
- Each term the Academy Attendance Panel will meet to review each pupils attendance.
- If your child’s attendance is below 85% you will receive a YELLOW letter setting an attendance target for the next four school weeks.
- If this target is not met the EWO will become involved in the monitoring and a further ORANGE letter will be sent setting a further target for a further four weeks.
- Should this second target not be reached you will receive a RED letter inviting you to attend an Attendance Panel Meeting. Failure to attend this meeting could result in a formal legal warning letter and/or fine.
- If your child’s attendance improves during the four week period to 95% or above you will receive a letter of congratulations.
Recent changes to legislation states that:
The Education (Pupil Registration) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2013 have removed the reference to holidays during term time and now provides that a leave of absence during term time will only be granted where an application is made in advance to the school and the school consider that the leave of absence should be granted due to exceptional circumstances relating to that application.
What amounts to “exceptional circumstances” is a matter for the discretion of the Head Teacher and should be judged on a case by case basis but it is unlikely to amount to an exceptional circumstance if it is merely claimed that a holiday abroad can only be afforded in term time or that a parent is unable to take leave during school holidays.
If your leave of absence has not been authorised by the Academy, you may be issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice by the Local Authority. This could result in a fine of up to £120 per parent per child.
Remember 90% attendance would sound good if you were taking an examination but 90% attendance throughout a school career adds up to over one years’ absence. If your child is poorly and needs to be absent from the Academy, please contact the Academy office before 9.15am to let us know on 01507 472472.
By working together we can improve attendance.