Our Best Attenders Get The Best Achievements
Try To Attend School Every Day
Following our recent OFSTED visit the need to improve the attendance of the children at our Academy was highlighted as one of the main areas we needed to improve.
After consultation with the Education Welfare Officer, (EWO), Academy Council members and other advisors, we have decided to introduce a new system for monitoring and improving pupil attendance.
Every week children who have achieved full attendance for that week will be entered into an Attendance Raffle which will be drawn at the end of term. Each week the class with the highest attendance will receive a certificate and a small treat for their efforts.
- The Government target for attendance is 95%
- Each term the Academy Attendance Panel will meet to review each pupils attendance.
- If your child’s attendance is below 85% you will receive a YELLOW letter setting an attendance target for the next four school weeks.
- If this target is not met the EWO will become involved in the monitoring and a further ORANGE letter will be sent setting a further target for a further four weeks.
- Should this second target not be reached you will receive a RED letter inviting you to attend an Attendance Panel Meeting. Failure to attend this meeting could result in a formal legal warning letter and/or fine.
- If your child’s attendance improves during the four week period to 95% or above you will receive a letter of congratulations.
Recent changes to legislation states that:
The Education (Pupil Registration) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2013 have removed the reference to holidays during term time and now provides that a leave of absence during term time will only be granted where an application is made in advance to the school and the school consider that the leave of absence should be granted due to exceptional circumstances relating to that application.
What amounts to “exceptional circumstances” is a matter for the discretion of the Head Teacher and should be judged on a case by case basis but it is unlikely to amount to an exceptional circumstance if it is merely claimed that a holiday abroad can only be afforded in term time or that a parent is unable to take leave during school holidays.
If your leave of absence has not been authorised by the Academy, you may be issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice by the Local Authority. This could result in a fine of up to £120 per parent per child.
Remember 90% attendance would sound good if you were taking an examination but 90% attendance throughout a school career adds up to over one years’ absence. If your child is poorly and needs to be absent from the Academy, please contact the Academy office before 9.15am to let us know on 01507 472472 or text our absence line on 07785775579.
By working together we can improve attendance.